GAP 4 package Polycyclic
version 4.5 or more recent;
GAP package Alnuth, version 1.0 or later;
GAP package AutPGrp, version 1.4 or later
Current version: 2.11 (click here to see what's new)
Several formats available
This package provides algorithms for working with polycyclic groups.
The features of this package include
- creating a polycyclic group from a polycyclic presentation
- arithmetic in a polycyclic group
- computation with subgroups and factor groups of a polycyclic group
- computation of standard subgroup series such as the derived
series, the lower central series
- computation of the first and second cohomology
- computation of group extensions
- computation of normalizers and centralizers
- solutions to the conjugacy problems for elements and subgroups
- computation of Torsion and various finite subgroups
- computation of various subgroups of finite index
- computation of the Schur multiplicator, non-abelian the exterior square and the non-abelian tensor square
If you use Polycyclic, we would like to know.
A short email to one of us would be nice.
Any comments about the package are very welcome. If you have found
important features missing or if there is a bug, let us know and we
will try to address it as soon as possible.
In order to install and use Polycyclic,
your also need to install both Alnuth and
AutPGrp. The former contains
methods for algebraic number theory, the later for computations of
automorphisms of p-groups; both are required by Polycyclic for
The README file describes the installation
of the Polycyclic package.
For the installation of Alnuth and AutPGrp, follow the instructions in their
The manual of Polycyclic is available as
If the package has been installed properly, the manual is
also accessible through the GAP online help.
Package Archive for Download
The Polycyclic package is availabe in the following
The PackageInfo.g file is available as plain text